Picture
Only a little bit more work to do before the first ride: Replacement swing arm install and front brakes.

The bike didnt have the entire front brake system when I got it. I have had an entire setup (via eBay) for a while. I finally got around to cleaning it up and getting it installed. The caliper and lines were full of nastiness. Got that crud all flushed out, got them installed, bled, and now life is good. I didnt rebuild the master cylinder, as I expect to replace it with a dual circuit unit for the conversion to dual discs up front.

Somewhere in the middle of all this, I did manage to do a bit more of a tune up. I checked the timing with my light, and it was dead on. Also checked the dwell - again dead on. Finally, I connected my synchronizer, and fine tuned the carbs. Runs real smooth and sounds great.

The next step was dealing with the bent swing arm. You can see how bad it is in the first "level" pic below. I pulled the entire rear suspension out and swapped in a good used swing-arm. It made a huge difference. While I was in there, I also inspected for other bent parts (to include the axle) - all else is good. 

Got it all back together, threw the old chain and sprocket on, and went for the first ride! It leaks oil, the tires are old, and the front end is a little loose, but otherwise the maiden voyage was perfect.


Your comment will be posted after it is approved.


Leave a Reply.